climateadaptation replied to your quote: I know it seems snobbish, but I take offense when…
Reminds me of the Keystone XL follies, seeing one tree and not the forest (thousands of miles of existing, nasty, aging pipelines). Only 25% of what ends up in a landfill is household waste. The other 75% is industrial/commercial and very toxic.
Michael, I’m aware of the huge role which construction and industry plays in adding pollution and waste. It IS a big issue. But until people start giving the slightest damn about what they as individuals contribute to the problem, before people recognize a problem at all [!] and start contributing to a solution, it’s hard to imagine tackling the bigger issues and the obstacles [read: lobbyists] which stand in the way.
Solutions start at home and they have to start somewhere. Sure, the Keystone XL pipeline is just a drop in the dirty oil filled bucket, but so what? Where do we decide to draw a line in the sand, decide to take a stand. Why not start with preventing a new pipeline, especially when it’s such a massive, dirty, project? (And especially when we have flourishing green-technologies.)
And perhaps it’s because your work is done on large scales while I work with individuals and small groups, but I have a very different attitude. As I see it, it’s not just that every bit of “greenness” helps, but every person helps. Each additional person who recognizes, understands, appreciates, and works to prevent the global catastrophes we’re heading toward is one less polluter and one more voice calling out for, demanding, attention and change - the kind that can later influence local and national gov’t policies.
Every bit and every-one helps.